Brown rice - we all know by now that its considered to be ideal for weight loss because its low in carbohydrate thus can be openly taken by those who are on diet and if we add lots of veggies in it flavored with mild spices,then I bet nothing can be more appetizing than a bowl of this recipe.Lots of people get really confused on how to cook Brown rice? here we have tried to explained how much water and time you need to give the Brown rice to make it perfectly healthy.
At times the grains of Brown rice might not look perfect after cooking because it requires a bit more time and water than white rice to get properly cooked.
• 2 Cups Brown Rice
• 2 tbsp Olive Oil
• ½ tsp Cumin Seeds / Jeera
• ½ tsp Green Cardamom Powder / Hari Elachi
• ¼ tsp Cinnamon Powder / Dalchini
• ¼ tsp Black Cardamom Powder / Badi Elachi
• 3 Bay Leaves / Tej Pata
• 2 Medium Onion
• 3 Cloves / Loung
• ½ tsp Ginger Paste Adrakh
• ½ tsp Garlic Paste / Lehsun
• 1 Cup Chopped Carrot
• 1 Cup Florets of Broccoli
• 1 Cup Coarsely ground Coriander Leaves, Mint Leaves & Fenugreek Leaves
• 2 to 3 Greem Chilies as per taste
• 6 Cups Water
• Salt to taste
• ½ tsp Garam Masala
1. To start with soak the Brown rice in 2 cups of water for about 1 hour.
2. In a vessel now add some olive oil.
3. To it then drop in some Bay leaves, Cumin seeds, Green Cardamom Powder, Cinnamon Powder, Black Cardamom and cloves.
4. After this add the chopped Onions. Fry them till translucent. Now add the Garlic & Ginger paste. Sauté just for another minute.
5. Now add the coarsely ground mix of Coriander Leaves, Mint Leaves & Fenugreek Leaves along with the Veggies.
6. Sauté them all together, let it to settle down a bit and within 5 minutes add the soaked rice along with 4 cups of water,salt and Garam Masala.
7. Let this to cook covered till you are able to press the rice between your finger and thumb but its feeling still raw.(It will take you about 20 to 25 min)
8. Then place your vessel over a griddle or a Tava and let it to cook covered till rice is tender.
• Use Non stick vessel for less oil cooking.
• In Brown rice the ratio of water should be 1:3 or if you want more soft 1:4 unlike the white rice that we usually cook in the proportion of 1:2 , that is 1 Cup Rice and 2 Cups of water.