Lotus Root Pakora is a spicy, crispy and a very tasty snack. This recipe is most famous in the core north India like Jammu & Kashmir. It is available there at every street corner and is usually served with Tamarind Onion chutney.
Ingredients (Serving 4) :
2 medium sized Lotus Root
2 tbsp Rice Flour
1 tbsp Besan /Gram Flour/Chickpea Flour
Salt to taste
½ tsp Red Chili Pwdr
1 tsp Dry Mango Pwdr / Amchoor
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1. Wash, scratch and clean the Lotus Roots properly both from inside and outside.
2. Then cut them in pieces and coarsely crush them with the help of a mortar.
3. In a bowl mix Rice Flour, Gram Flour, Salt, Red Chili pwdr, Dry Mango Pwdr and crushed Cumin seeds.
4. Keep on adding little water and make a smooth batter paste.
5. Now in a Frying pan heat as much oil that the Pakora batter gets deep fried.
6. As the oil gets hot enough fry the Pakoras in batches, taking 4 to 5 teaspoonful of the batter in each batch.
7. Fry the Pakoras on a medium flame moving them from both sides.
8. When the Pakoras become golden brown in color take strain them out on a tissue.
9. Serve hot with any chutney or tomato ketchup along with tea.
You can keepthe batter prepared and use it within 12hrs of preparation.